Breakfast and I? Well, we’re not exactly friends. I’m like Garfield only instead of hating Mondays I truly loathe mornings. I rarely want to do much of anything before noon, so cooking an elaborate breakfast mid-week isn’t an option. Most days, I’m lucky if I get a piece of toast in my belly before lunch. As I age, I’m noticing more and more how important it is for me to put something in my body to fuel me come morning. And I’ve recently found that perfect something: the blueberry vanilla breakfast popsicle! Not only are they easy to make, they’re effortless to grab in the morning and, let’s face it, eating a popsicle for breakfast is kind of the best (bonus: I think kids would go nutty for these!)
PS – Other fun breakfast alternatives I’ve made over the years: cranberry breakfast cookies | blueberry breakfast loaf | homemade granola bars | and when I’m feeling especially sinful – nutella banana bread.
- 1 cup Fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2-3 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 1 cup Vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup Milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, heat the blueberries, water and maple syrup until juices begin to release. Continue warming for 10-15 minutes or so until it begins to get syrupy and delicious. Set aside to cool completely.
- In the meantime, mix the vanilla yogurt, milk and vanilla.
- To assemble, drop 1 Tbsp. of the yogurt mixture into the bottom of your popsicle molds, then add a Tbsp. of the blueberry mixture. Continue, alternating between the yogurt and the blueberry, until molds are full!
- Freeze for 4-5 hours, or until solid.
- Optional: I think they'd be awesome dipped in rolled oats too!
Click here for more recipes!