DIY: a rustic candle holder

I can’t take full credit for this DIY as I’ve seen it floating around the interwebs in the past, but it’s a goodie and one that I’ve long wanted to duplicate myself. If I must admit, I had originally planned this post last fall but I just never got around to it. The sticks were gathered (this is no easy task when you live in a condo downtown Toronto), the glass votives were purchased and they’ve hung around all lonely-like ever since.

When I woke up last Saturday morning, I felt the urge to get crafty so that’s just what I did. It was so simple that I almost feel silly writing out the steps, but what kind of “DIY’er” would I be then? So here it goes:
What you’ll need:
-a hot glue gun
-some twine
-a sharp exacto knife
-a handful of (straight) sticks
-glass votives (I picked mine up at Ikea for $2.99/pack of 12)
-tealights

Step 1:
using the exacto knife, carefully cut the stick to your desired length (mine were approximately 3″ long)
Step 2:
repeat with remaining sticks until they’re all similar in length
Step 3:
add a dollop of hot glue to the bottom of the stick
Step 4:
hold it firmly against the votive until the glue dries
Step 5:
repeat until the entire votive is covered
Step 6:
wrap twine around the base, using hot glue to secure it in place, for a more “finished” look.

Spread the word!Pin on Pinterest50Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on TumblrShare on Google+0
CATEGORIES | DIY
19 Responses to “DIY: a rustic candle holder”
  1. Boi-Yeanoh says:

What a great idea. Just found me a weekend project.

This is so cute…a few of them would be perfect lining a Thanksgiving table. Thanks for the DIY!

Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

3. Anna says:

So cute, what a great non-intimidating DIY! And they’d be great for centerpieces, mantels, etc

4. Chelsea says:

I have been feeling craft as of late, and I need to just dive in. This looks great. Romantic and rustic. xo

Thanks Chelsea!
      And that was my thought last weekend. The sticks were staring me down and I was like ok this just needs to happen. Now.

5. Always so creative! What an easy and inexpensive way to spice up in time for the holidays. Thanks for sharing as always!

6. Look at you being all creative. I love how it looks lit up!

7. Alpha says:

Thanks for this easy DIY. I regret not picking up the twigs in the backyard when the landscaper ripped up my garden to fix it up for spring ( it’s spring here in Australia). Must remind my kids to pickup twigs for me next time. I’ll try spray painting it in white for Christmas! Thank you!

8. Sam says:

I like the way the candle light shines through the twigs! It reminds me a little bit of Andy Goldsworthy’s art.

Great project, Jacquelyn. I might try to execute this for thanksgiving.

9. […] In case you missed it, check out how to easily make those votive holders above for yourself:¬†click here! /* Share this: CATEGORIES | life, scenes from my weekendCOMMENTS (0) Leave a Reply […]

10. Ok. This is incredible! I totally missed this post so thank you for mentioning it again. This is the perfect Thanksgiving candle.

11. Love it! It would be great for a pencil holder too!