tasty treats: thai coconut curry soup

Much to my dismay, my winter jacket emerged from the closet for the first time yesterday morning. The weather has quickly turned from somewhat bearable to completely frigid and I’m not quite mentally prepared. While I’m never entirely happy when the winter months begin to show their true colours, there’s something to be said about hunkering down indoors with a piping hot bowl of soup as the wind howls outside. On a particularly frosty day recently, Justin and I took this recipe out for a spin. The flavours are rich and intense in the best possible way and I was surprised at how simple it was to throw together on a whim*. Chef Michael Smith is always a hit in our household and I can pretty much guarantee that this soup will be on heavy rotation in the coming months.

*I realize that lemongrass, coconut milk and lime leaves aren’t staples in most people’s homes, but we are big Thai food fans over here. In fact, I’ve never in my life roasted a chicken, cooked a steak or baked a pork chop – but Thai? Thai I can do with my eyes closed.

Spread the word!Pin on Pinterest2,495Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on TumblrShare on Reddit0
CATEGORIES | Recipes, Tasty Treats
21 Responses to “tasty treats: thai coconut curry soup”
  1. This sounds perfect for a COLD, rainy Friday night in. I had a long week and I think something tangy and spicy would do the trick!

2. Pink Ronnie says:

I would love to learn how to make Thai.
    Your curry looks amazing, Jacquelyn…
    Ronnie xo

3. Julia says:

this looks really good!

4. Sophie says:

it’s official; we definitely have twin taste buds! thai is my favourite! lime leaves, lemongrass and coconut milk are serious staples in my home! i can’t live without them! i will definitely be whipping this recipe up asap! it sounds and looks amazing! xx

5. This sounds like it would hit the spot perfectly! It is getting really cold out there lately…

6. David Ip says:

Another recipe for the “to make” pile! You’re made of hardier stuff than me JC, I busted out the heavier leather last week… but I refuse to break out my parka until it’s minus 20!

I’ll have to flip you my Poulet Roti recipe, it’s deceptively tricky to get that super crisp skin and moist interior, but not that hard. The leftovers are great for soups too!

You and Mirko… I’d rather be warm than subscribe to odd weather rules!

Yesss that sounds delicious. Please send away!

7. Leigh says:

This looks phenomenal! The colors are perfect and all I want this time of year is to eat warm soup types of meals :)

I’ve actually never made Thai food, but the few times I’ve had it, I’ve loved it. Can’t wait to try this one weekend!

Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

9. Shodja says:

I’m sure, everyone would agree that your soup, Jacquelyn, looks much prettier than Micheal’s!

10. Eleanor says:

I love Thai food and make it pretty often (once a week these days, it seems), and this soup looks right up my alley. Beautiful photos, too! Going to check it out soon.

11. [...] on wednesday but did not actually make it until thursday afternoon.   thursday morning i read this post by one of my favorite bloggers, jacquelyn, from lark & linen.  i saved the post to my [...]

12. Kash says:

Hello! Where do you find your lime leaves in Toronto? This soup looks delicious!!

13. Christine says:

You need to sell your photos to Michael Smith because yours looks way better! Seriously, you are so amazing at food photography.

Also, I think I need to try this recipe.