condo life: $3 nightstands

When Justin and I first moved into our condo we picked up a few discarded wine boxes at the LCBO for a dollar a piece, unsure of what exactly we’d do with them. For the last year they’ve sat stacked next to our bed as a nightstand placeholder until we could afford those we really wanted. Though they were unfinished, their rough and tumbleness began to grow on me. When operation get-bedroom-finished came into full swing not long ago, I decided they could stick around (dang budget) but they needed to step it up. Enter: stain. After two quick coats (and three days of air drying on the balcony), I brought them in and couldn’t believe the immediate difference. The result feels rustic and well-loved, bringing about an immediate sense of warmth. Extra bonus: you would never even guess that the entire project cost a mere three dollars (plus a can of stain, which I happened to have on hand). I think I’ll keep them around, for a while at least.

Spread the word!Pin on Pinterest13,110Share on Facebook39Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on TumblrShare on Reddit0
CATEGORIES | DIY, Interior Design
72 Responses to “condo life: $3 nightstands”
  1. These look gorgeous! You would pay top dollar for something like this at a fancy store :)

2. Stacey says:

I wasn’t going to comment because I don’t want to seem like a stalker (Ha) but these are so lovely! I love the colour they’ve turned into, what wood is it underneath? So much better than before! xx

3. This looks so great! Definitely keepers!!!!!

4. Gaby says:

What? Amazing! Love the look (and the cost!) ;)

5. Brittany @ My. Daily. Randomness. says:

They look lovely! From what I can see the dark stain really makes it pop it your light bedroom. I don’t know how you convinced the LCBO to part ways with those boxes… I might have to go see what I can find!

Go to the LCBO warehouse! I went to the one on Freeland st. in Toronto. They don’t always have them, but they sell them for a dollar a piece in the lobby. I’ve been told the best day to score is on Tuesdays

6. Gorgeous! Such a great low-priced solution and the stain really makes an incredible difference. Keeping this in my DIY arsenal!

7. tinajo says:

Looks really nice, well done! :-)

8. livesimplybyannie says:

Love it!

9. Carrie says:

Beautiful!!! Simple, timeless and affordable – Go you!!

10. houseofearnest says:

wow! These look so great! Nice job!!

11. This is a really brilliant idea– I WILL be recreating this!

12. Wow, this is so, so beautiful!

13. I love this look! I definitely need to find some old wine crates and do this!

14. Jennifer says:

Oh man they look awesome! That stain really makes them look cool:)
    ~Jennifer

15. Ummm..brillz! LOVE it! And so perfectly styled :)

16. i love this with the dark stain! great find!

17. I will definitely be hunting down some old wine boxes to do this with! Great post! :)

18. Haute says:

You have a magical touch! They look absolutely stunning and not at all like a $3 nightstand!! Intact, they look nicer than most really expensive plan old boring nightstands. Great job! I may steal this idea if I never decide to redecorate!! :)

19. well done! i can’t wait to see the rest!

20. JEN RAMOS says:

one word BRILLIANT…why didnt i think of this?
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

21. Jacquelyn says:

Thank you all for your sweet comments! You sure do know how to make a girl feel special (or her nightstands, at the very least!)

22. andrea says:

these look fantastic jacquelyn!

23. ah ha!! This is brilliant!!! Love it!

24. Such a fabulously simple idea! x kat

25. ihartyoga says:

Genius! It looks rustically beautiful and expensive might I add.

26. Holy cow you are so talented! I love this look…and so does Jason. He happened to be walking by my computer as I was looking at it! :)

27. Andrea says:

These are beautiful, what a fantastic idea!

Andrea x

28. Ashley says:

Gorgeous! I’m looking to do something similar with a table I have, this color exactly! Could you tell me what stain you used? Color and brand? Beautiful work, keep it up! :) Thanks!!

29. rick says:

i too love the stain color, please let us know what you used!

30. Brooke Ratzlaff says:

What a great idea! Nice styling also!

31. Sarah says:

Love it!!! Looks so beautiful and pulled together. Love seeing your home :)

32. Kee says:

These are awesome! What is an LCBO though?

Wow – do I get the worst blogger in the world card for only seeing this question now? Better late than never, yes?? The LCBO is the liquor control board of Ontario. The government controls our liquor sales in Ontario and it’s the only place to (legally) buy alcohol!

33. Ellie says:

Did you use a high gloss poly afterwards or is the Jacobean mini wax a 2 in 1? I love the shine on those! Can you please explain your stain process? 1coat? Did you brush it on and then wipe it down? I’m a staining newbie! :)

Hi Ellie!

I used the 2 in 1. I brushed it on and wiped it down. I did two coats (letting the first one dry before applying the second). I might suggest using some sort of sealant afterwards. The stain has definitely faded (though it’s probably only noticeable to my nit-picky self) and I might add another coat whenever I get a spare moment.

34. [...] This is another very simple design for a nightstand. This one is made out of discarded wine boxes. They were simply stacked next to the bed and turned into a nightstand. Doing something similar is very simple. Just find some boxes and stain them. Let them dry and they’ll get a very nice rustic look.{found on jacquelynclark}. [...]

35. [...] This is another very simple design for a nightstand. This one is made out of discarded wine boxes. They were simply stacked next to the bed and turned into a nightstand. Doing something similar is very simple. Just find some boxes and stain them. Let them dry and they’ll get a very nice rustic look.{found on jacquelynclark}. [...]

36. Jessica says:

What an amazing idea! Do you suggest I go to a package store & ask them if they have any of these boxes I could have?

37. [...] Nesse post, ela conta que tinha comprado essas caixas de vinho, por um dólar cada e não sabia muito bem o que fazer com elas. Começou usando-as de mesinhas de cabeceira até ter dinheiro pra comprar as mesinhas que ela queria de verdade. Até que depois de algum tempo usando-as sem acabamento nenhum, ela resolveu tingi-las e adorou o resultado. [...]

38. Kami says:

These are wonderful!!!! I wanna do this but need to know how tall this is. If you don’t mind telling me how many inches tall?

39. [...] de vinho empilhadas e verniz tingidor, encontrado em várias tonalidades. Aqui tem o [...]

40. Louise says:

I love this! Do you mind telling me of the dimensions of each of the crates? I’m trying to recreate this and I loved the height of yours.

41. These are beautiful! I really want to snag these for our bedroom :) Do you mind if I feature/link back to this project on my blog? I just love it!

42. paid surveys says:

To work from home, you must have a setup similar to the following:
    A quiet, comfortable office space. Networking and Social Networking websites are
    a great resource for finding legitimate work
    online. This is best done with regular contact through e-mail with cleaar links to your
    web-site.

43. Thanks! By the way, I was pretty excited when I came across your blog :) I am loving it!

44. Paigerella says:

Gorgeous. I just love the look of a dark stain. Well done.

45. […] incredibly inexpensive (just a $1 for each box!), this DIY by Jacquelyn of Jacquelyn Clark is far from cheap looking! Just a few coats of stain on these stacked wine boxes are all you need […]

46. great idea, looks so cute, i would love to feature it , if that would be ok please let me know
    lauren

47. […] boxes looked as a nightstand, but I was also pumped at the fact that I found a new blog to love at Lark & Linen! It was a good […]

48. Home says:

Thanks a lot! This can be an astounding web site.

my web site :: Home