tasty treats: banana cream pie.

Justin and I have been together for just under six years and this is the very first time I’ve ever attempted to make his favourite dessert: banana cream pie. While I’m generally pretty confident in the kitchen, the idea of making my own custard filling always seemed intimidating. It turns out, it’s actually quite easy provided you follow the steps closely. The use of a real vanilla bean* in the custard and mashed bananas in the graham cracker base elevate¬†the recipe to the next level. Justin even uttered the words “this is the best thing you’ve ever made”. It’s possible he’s biased considering it was made solely for him, but I nodded my head in agreement. It’s true. I may even reassess my commitment to any and all things chocolate (I can’t believe I just said that).

*I buy my vanilla beans online here. They’re shockingly less expensive than any place I’ve found in Toronto

Share This:Pinterest27Facebook0Twitter0tumblrReddit0
CATEGORIES | recipes, tasty treats
24 Responses to “tasty treats: banana cream pie.”
  1. tinajo says:

Looks delicious – yum! :-)

2. Barbie Sharland Andrews says:

OMGoodness–that looks delicious–I must meet this man that is your heart Sweetie–have a wonderful weekend with your momma!!

3. Yummmmm. This looks so amazing. I have a secret weakness for cream pies like this. My faaave is chocolate. One of the cafeterias at my university used to make the BEST chocolate cream pie. It singlehandedly caused me to gain like 10 lbs freshman year.

4. Oh Yum! You did it again Jacquelyn! Banana cream pie + a cup of coffee equals one of my favorite things. :) This is why we are friends. xo

5. That looks great! I have never had banana cream pie but I think it’s time I took the plunge! Can’t wait to check out the recipe. Yum!

6. That looks great – aren’t you good? :D

7. No you didn’t just say that! Nothing beats chocolate…although I must admit this looks rather tasty!! Lucky Justin!!

8. looks so good!! i’m usually not a fan of desserts with banana, but i had one also on valentine’s day and now i can’t stop thinking about banana desserts! this looks delicious! :)

9. TwigandLily says:

Yum yum yum!! That looks and sounds amazing. I’m sure you made your BF fall more in love with you then he already was. If that’s possible. ; ) I’ve been loving vanilla based desserts lately and custard has been a fav of mine since I was a child. I must try this recipe soon. Thanks!

10. Looks amazing! Pies are one thing I absolutely avoid making! I can never get the crust to work.

11. Andrea says:

I love love love banoffee – my favourite ever is a caramel-heavy version from a little restaurant near our beach house, piled with whipped cream and fresh berries.

Andrea x

12. love and cupcakes says:

Mmmmm! Banana cream pie is one of my favorites!

13. That looks wonderful! I made banana cream pie once, and NO ONE liked it. Because it was GROSS. Maybe I needed a better recipe.
    Anna

14. Catherine says:

Oh my, this looks amazing!!!

XO,
    Catherine
    FEST (a new blog about food, style & travel)

15. [...] not sure if you’ve noticed, but I’ve been on a serious sugar binge as of late (examples here, here & here). Each afternoon, I find myself craving something sweet and I almost always give [...]

16. [...] tasty treats: banana cream pie. (www.jacquelynclark.com) [...]