tasty treats: broccoli soup.

Up until this past weekend, the weather in Toronto had resembled anything but winter*. Gradually shifting from spring-like temperatures to just slightly below, it’s been unseasonably warm and, admittedly, quite pleasant. Over the weekend, however, the weather took a serious turn for the worst. Cold, strong winds, piles of snow and frigid temperatures made many of us crave hibernation within the confines of our homes. Any spring fevers I had been previously experiencing were immediately squashed and instead I reverted back to my winter-like habits.

Being forced to brave the cold on both Friday and Saturday for events I was unwilling to miss, I was pleased when I found myself with virtually no plans on Sunday. Admittedly, still feeling chilled to the bone from said outdoor excursions in less-than-ideal conditions, I found myself craving something piping hot to warm me from the inside out. In came this recipe for broccoli soup. A simple, limited list of ingredients is always appealing and I thought I’d give it a shot. The results were just what I had been craving and it became the perfect solution to help conquer the chilly weekend.

*it should be noted that the temperature has since returned to its strange spring-like state. What’s up global warming?

ps. there’s still time to enter the Seakpeeq giveaway!

Spread the word!Pin on Pinterest24Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on TumblrShare on Google+0
CATEGORIES | Recipes, Tasty Treats
21 Responses to “tasty treats: broccoli soup.”
  1. Charlotte says:

Oh the weather is freezing here! I’ll try this x

2. tinajo says:

Looks delicious, I LOVE soups! :-)

3. I wish my boyfriend liked cream soups… sigh. I’m happy to send you some cold, it was -15°C here this morning!

I don’t usually either so I didn’t use the full extent of the recommended amount of cream. Honestly, you could probably forgo it altogether and it would still be delicious

4. it really has been unseasonably warm! I have never been able to run on lakeshore as much in the winter time as I have this year. But on to the soup…um yum! my son LOVES broccoli, its his favorite veggie so I am definitely making this {a modified version for little tummies}

5. Broccoli soup is new to me, but this looks fabulous!

6. I love homemade soup! If you’re feeling adventurous (and get another cold spell), try this one, it’s my favourite (and it’s easily un-veganized if you want, by using regular milk and butter instead of coconut & soy stuff): http://bit.ly/wNPmee. I promise, it’s amazing!

7. yummmm, I wish I had some of this soup for lunch right now!!

8. nesha says:

broccoli soup haha! i would never have thought to try this but it looks quite appealing!

9. Mmmmmm cream of broccoli. How I love thee. The thing is, it has so much cream, it’s definitely indulgence. And none of this “substitute 2%!” mumbo jumbo. Please. If you’re going to make cream of broccoli, make it CREAM of broccoli. In fact, when making it, I recommend everyone go for broke and just add some cheese in too. :)

10. viv says:

Oh my goodness, this soup looks heavenly!

11. Alexa says:

Honestly the best way to eat broccoli in my opinion.

12. this looks like heaven!! could use a bowl of this today! it’s actually below zero here in london
    x kat

13. Such an amazing colourful soup. It is the perfect dish for this time of the year – it has become so, so cold here in the past few days!

14. I was in Toronto in January and I couldn’t believe how nice it was! I was actually able to stand outdoors for more than 5 minutes which is a lot for this southern California girl! Cauliflower soup is one of my favs so I’ll definitely try this one out.

15. Elena says:

Yay! I’m glad you liked the recipe!
    Loving the weather too!