tasty treats: broccoli soup.

Up until this past weekend, the weather in Toronto had resembled anything but winter*. Gradually shifting from spring-like temperatures to just slightly below, it’s been unseasonably warm and, admittedly, quite pleasant. Over the weekend, however, the weather took a serious turn for the worst. Cold, strong winds, piles of snow and frigid temperatures made many of us crave hibernation within the confines of our homes. Any spring fevers I had been previously experiencing were immediately squashed and instead I reverted back to my winter-like habits.

Being forced to brave the cold on both Friday and Saturday for events I was unwilling to miss, I was pleased when I found myself with virtually no plans on Sunday. Admittedly, still feeling chilled to the bone from said outdoor excursions in less-than-ideal conditions, I found myself craving something piping hot to warm me from the inside out. In came this recipe for broccoli soup. A simple, limited list of ingredients is always appealing and I thought I’d give it a shot. The results were just what I had been craving and it became the perfect solution to help conquer the chilly weekend.

*it should be noted that the temperature has since returned to its strange spring-like state. What’s up global warming?

ps. there’s still time to enter the Seakpeeq giveaway!

Share This:Pinterest22Facebook0Twitter0tumblrReddit0
CATEGORIES | recipes, tasty treats
21 Responses to “tasty treats: broccoli soup.”
  1. Charlotte says:

Oh the weather is freezing here! I’ll try this x

2. tinajo says:

Looks delicious, I LOVE soups! :-)

3. I wish my boyfriend liked cream soups… sigh. I’m happy to send you some cold, it was -15°C here this morning!

I don’t usually either so I didn’t use the full extent of the recommended amount of cream. Honestly, you could probably forgo it altogether and it would still be delicious

4. it really has been unseasonably warm! I have never been able to run on lakeshore as much in the winter time as I have this year. But on to the soup…um yum! my son LOVES broccoli, its his favorite veggie so I am definitely making this {a modified version for little tummies}

5. Broccoli soup is new to me, but this looks fabulous!

6. I love homemade soup! If you’re feeling adventurous (and get another cold spell), try this one, it’s my favourite (and it’s easily un-veganized if you want, by using regular milk and butter instead of coconut & soy stuff): http://bit.ly/wNPmee. I promise, it’s amazing!

7. yummmm, I wish I had some of this soup for lunch right now!!

8. nesha says:

broccoli soup haha! i would never have thought to try this but it looks quite appealing!

9. Mmmmmm cream of broccoli. How I love thee. The thing is, it has so much cream, it’s definitely indulgence. And none of this “substitute 2%!” mumbo jumbo. Please. If you’re going to make cream of broccoli, make it CREAM of broccoli. In fact, when making it, I recommend everyone go for broke and just add some cheese in too. :)

10. viv says:

Oh my goodness, this soup looks heavenly!

11. Alexa says:

Honestly the best way to eat broccoli in my opinion.

12. this looks like heaven!! could use a bowl of this today! it’s actually below zero here in london
    x kat

13. Such an amazing colourful soup. It is the perfect dish for this time of the year – it has become so, so cold here in the past few days!

14. I was in Toronto in January and I couldn’t believe how nice it was! I was actually able to stand outdoors for more than 5 minutes which is a lot for this southern California girl! Cauliflower soup is one of my favs so I’ll definitely try this one out.

15. Elena says:

Yay! I’m glad you liked the recipe!
    Loving the weather too!