tasty treats: no-knead rustic bread.

One of my fondest memories as a child is waking up on weekend mornings to the scent of warm, homemade bread (is there any better smell?) I’ve since longed to resurrect this tradition, but without a breadmaker (or any additional cupboard or counter space to house one) I didn’t think it was possible without a significant amount of effort.

Not long ago, I was pleased to find this video in my inbox* with directions on making your very own rustic bread sans breadmaker and not a single iota of kneading required. With the combination of flour, water, yeast and salt, the video states that a four year old could do it and I completely and wholeheartedly agree. In light of full disclosure (to prove to you that this really is the. easiest. thing. ever), I will confess that I threw this together post-bar, four drinks in, quite late last Friday night not really thinking all that much of it. When Justin and I awoke the next morning, we were pleased to find that the dough had risen and all that was left to do was to bake it and wait (impatiently) before digging in for breakfast.

Bread! That I made! I feel so grown up.

(editors note: it also made for an excellent grilled cheese sandwich the next day)
*thanks uncle Mark!

Share This:Pinterest27Facebook0Twitter0tumblrReddit0
CATEGORIES | recipes, tasty treats
43 Responses to “tasty treats: no-knead rustic bread.”
  1. tinajo says:

Looks wonderful – I´m not sure I could pull that off..! I´m good at baking cookies and such but bread makes me nervous by some reason..!

2. sophie says:

wow! this looks seriously amazing. i am definitely going to make this. and it looks so yummy with the jam x

3. veghotpot says:

You cant beat home made fresh out the oven bread :) Your photos look lovely too x

4. Very very pretty and looks so crunchy… thanks for sharing!!

5. This sounds like just the kind of recipe for me! If someone can make it a few glasses deep in wine in the wee hours of the morning, it’s probably about my skill level :)

6. ok you just convinced me to make this…or better yet to send this to my husband to make since he’s the bread maker in the family

7. My Dad used to make this all the time and I LOVED it, especially with a nice bowl of soup. I’m so glad you reminded me of it and how easy it is! I’m definitely doing this soon.

8. That’s awesome! I also have a fond childhood memory of homemade bread, and I attempted to make some myself this year (with a bread maker) and I failed. lol. But in all fairness, I was trying to make whole wheat bread it and was waaaay to dense! I’ve been meaning to try again, but haven’t gotten around to it!

Your bread looks delicious!! :)

9. viv says:

YUM! Bread is a serious addiction of mine.

10. That looks so yummy… homemade bread is the bomb

11. Molly says:

WOAH – not only does this bread look incredible but your photography is soooo stunning!!! I’m going to try my hand at making some of this soon – there is seriously NOTHING better than fresh bread with butter and jelly! xx

12. Beautiful bread and photos Jacquelyn! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

13. Alexa says:

What is it about bread and jam that is just so marvelous?

14. thefauxmartha says:

That’s one pretty loaf! I like your no-knead style.

15. nesha says:

I love bread way too much!

16. dang, when im 4 drinks in i can barely boil ramen noodles!

17. Claire says:

This looks delicious. It’s pouring rain outside here, so this is something I have got to do tonight. Warm, soft bread on a cold morning = perfection x

18. this bread looks like heaven!!
    would die for a slice
    x kat

19. Keirara says:

This looks so delicious!! Definitely didn’t think bread could be made this easily!

20. kep10489 says:

Could I possibly get the recipe? I’m dying to try this!

21. Bethany says:

Do you use warm water? Or just regular water?

22. Sarah says:

Love these photos!!! I’m so proud of your bread making! I’ve never made before. I also love that you made it after a few drinks :) xo

23. Linda Barker says:

Where is the recipe for the Rustic Bread? My mouth is watering.

24. [...] some easy peezy no-knead bread. Stop by Lark & Linen to see the end [...]

25. Jacquelyn says:

Hey guys! I know some of you are having trouble tracking down the recipe. You have to watch the video here: http://video.nytimes.com/video/2006/11/07/dining/1194817104184/no-knead-bread.html

They explain how it’s done in the video!

26. Noémie says:

I came over from The Veda House and have already started a loaf… I can’t wait!

I also found the receipe via Smitten Kitchen here:

Thanks so much!!

27. [...] Guys, I made bread. And not any kind of bread, GOOD bread.  The recipe has been around for a while now, but I’ve only read about it recently and I’m so thankful that I have.   I found it through The Veda House, who linked to a post from Lark and Linen. [...]

28. Charmaine says:

just found your site and have a bread lover in the house won’t he be impressed with me, maybe Valentine’s day, we are having a stay in dinner. thank you, I love your style

29. Kathy says:

ummm…my dough isn’t rising like the recipe says it is supposed to…any suggestions? It’s in towels doing it’s 2 hour “rising”

30. [...] like my discovery with popcorn and bread, I’ve recently discovered that you don’t require a specific machine (I’m looking at you [...]

31. Must try this, the first time I spotted a simple recipe was on Noemie’s blog As Ink Remains, and immediately bookmarked it, must do this soon! Looks incredible, gorgeous pics! Nothing like just made still warm bread.

32. [...]     You showcase some great recipes on Lark & Linen. Do you have a favorite right now? My no-knead rustic bread is my very favourite recipe. It consists of four ingredients that literally take moments to toss [...]