While you can never go wrong with standard issue banana bread (it’s like love in bread form. amiright?), when I stumbled upon this recipe for nutella banana bread my heart skipped a beat. Those are like, three of the best things that ever existed (nutella + banana + bread = one happy me (and a happy Justin too)).
One evening, right before bed, I decided I just had to whip this thing together. It was non-negotiable. The recipe was incredibly easy to follow, and apart from the fact that it took an hour and a half to bake (rather than the hour it had called for), it was well worth the wait and made for the perfect midnight snack.
Click for the recipe…
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 heaping cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8" x 4" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda & salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together sugar and butter with mixer at medium speed until blended. Add eggs, beating well after each egg.
- Add banana, milk and vanilla and blend.
- Slowly add flour mixture (I did it in three parts), mixing in between until incorporated (but don't overmix!)
- Warm nutella in oven or microwave until softened. Add 1 cup of the banana bread mixture and stir until combined.
- Alternate spooning banana bread mixture and nutella batter into the loaf pan.
- Using a knife, swirl together the two mixtures.
- Bake for 1 hour - it should be a tiny bit undercooked as it will continue to cook in the pan.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and then transfer to wire rack.