Baking is one of those things that has always felt meditative to me, which is likely why you’ve seen so many dessert recipes around here over the years. It is my very favourite way to unwind after a long day, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that the results yield tasty delights when I’m through. These days, however, my baking time is more limited than it used to be – which means that I’m constantly on the hunt for easy recipes that don’t require a ton of effort. Enter: almond coconut macaroons with dark chocolate drizzle. With just a few ingredients required, they tick all the right boxes and then some. Grab the recipe below!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (14oz) bag of sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add egg whites, sugar, salt, and almond extract. Whisk together until foamy.
- Pour in coconut flakes and whisk until mixture is evenly blended.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper, and scoop balls of coconut batter onto baking sheet. Gently press down on the tops with the back of a spoon to help the coconut stick together while baking.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until edges are a light golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once all the cookies are baked and cooled, move them to sheets of wax paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in a small bowl in microwave or in a double boiler- make sure you don't overcook them! Once they are just melted, use a fork to drizzle zigzag lines of chocolate over the macaroons.
- Sprinkle sea salt over each cookie before the chocolate hardens. Let the chocolate set and store in an airtight container.
- I almost always make a double batch of these cookies, because they're so quick to make and they get snatched up *immediately*- they're completely addictive!
Photography: Ruth Eileen Photography