#ProjectLarkandLinen Interior Design

Our Foyer Reveal

Before After - Foyer

SHOP THE POST:

I’m of the firm belief that your foyer (and hallways for that matter) should never be an afterthought. They are the very first thing people see the moment they step into your house, and it’s a really wonderful way to make a lasting first impression. Much like the rest of our home, our foyer is teeny tiny, but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t worthy of a little love.

lark linen foyer_1lark linen foyer_8

We started by ripping out the heinous ceramic tile in the vestibule and replacing it with something truly wow-worthy. I knew I wanted something with pattern, as there’s not much room for anything else so it needed to really stand on its own. After going back and forth on a number of different patterned options, we landed on this insanely intricate patterned marble, from Stone Impressions , with a simple marble border. This change alone instantly transformed the entire vibe.

lark linen foyer_2lark linen foyer_17

Next, still along the whole “statement” front, we decided we’d add wallpaper going all the way up the stairs. Much like our vestibule, our hallway upstairs is pretty tight, with little room for anything other than a piece of art or two. In order to ensure that every last bit of spacec in our home got a little design love, this felt like a really lovely solution. We opted for this incredible hand-painted pattern from Farrow & Ball , and I almost cried when it went up it’s so beautiful. The pattern is super quiet and subtle which means I won’t tire of it, but there’s no doubt that it still makes a statement and holds its own. In addition, the organic tree-like shape and its application feels traditional and in keeping with the bones of our home, but the pattern is done in a modern way so that it doesn’t feel stuffy. Basically, this wallpaper is my design sensibilities embodied.

lark linen foyer_4

Next, we replaced our wall sconces (which you can really only see in the mirror in the shot above) with those of the unexpected variety (you can see a better image here, if you’d like). They’re soft and playful, but still super elegant. We then added a small console, which has become the perfect spot to drop our keys and hold our mail as we come and go (plus, I’m oddly excited to decorate this little spot for each season – is it just me who thinks of these things?).

lark linen foyer_3lark linen foyer_5lark linen foyer_6

And because design is in the details, we made sure we had them en masse. The prettiest vintage-inspired mirror from Wayfair set the stage. It arrived fast, shipping was free which was awesome, and it was by far the most reasonably priced mirror of its variety I could find. I then made sure to infuse some soul through little touches the likes of the vintage candlesticks and coat hooks (that I picked up at an estate sale near my cottage in Prince Edward County).

lark linen foyer_7

In addition, because I firmly believe that every room should have a hint of black to ground it – we painted out our existing door and handrail, which added some much needed drama (keeping things from feeling too light and airy) that I simply adore.
lark linen foyer_9lark linen foyer_10lark linen foyer_11lark linen foyer_13lark linen foyer_14lark linen foyer_16lark linen foyer_20lark linen foyer_21

If you want to check out the rest of the rooms in our house, you can do so right here.

[break]

SOURCES:

[break]

Photography: Heidi Lau
Design: Myself (Lark & Linen)

DESIGN SOURCES:

Patterned Floor Tiles: Stone Impressions | Marble Border Tile: Stone Impressions
Wall Colour: Farrow & Ball – Strong White | Wallpaper: Farrow & Ball – Hornbeam
Mirror: Wayfair | Console: Wayfair | Wall Sconce: Arteriors | Door Knob: Schlage
Vintage Candlesticks: Etsy | Vase & Marble Ball: Homesense
Umbrella Stand: Carte & Barrel | Coat Hooks: Vintage

I’M WEARING:

Pants: Nordstrom | Sweater: H&M | Lipstick: Dior | Shoes: Old Navy

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

• Meg
    October 18, 2017 at 9:11 am

Really gorgeous–I love your entire house! Would you ever be willing to do a video walk-through of your home (if you’d share)? I always think it’s fascinating to see how layouts can inform design decisions. Just a thought-love your blog, read it every day!

• Caroline @ The Hyphenated Home
    October 18, 2017 at 10:51 am

The tile and the wallpaper are particularly stunning! I find that the hallway is the trickiest place for me to design because it does give such a powerful first impression.

• Jacquelyn Clark
      October 18, 2017 at 7:30 pm

It’s true! There’s definitely some added pressure. But at the same time, it’s a room you can have fun with because a) it’s typically on the smaller side so you don’t have to spend a ton and b) you don’t spend a significant amount of time in there so you can be a little bolder and go a little more playful!

• Jordana @WhiteCabana
    October 18, 2017 at 11:10 am

It’s absolutely beautiful, Jacquelyn! And you look so happy and proud, too!

• Jacquelyn Clark
      October 18, 2017 at 7:30 pm

hahaha I love that that’s coming through! It was the last space we finished and I felt SO relieved! Now we can just enjoy our home

• Stephanie
    October 18, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Jacquelyn,
    Stunning…Everything about this radiates beauty and love! 💗

• Jacquelyn Clark
      October 18, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I am so glad that comes through. Thank you for your thoughtful comment!

• whitney
    October 18, 2017 at 4:16 pm

It’s beautiful, Jacquelyn! And your dog is TOO much, mine is exactly the same way – can never be too close or get enough attention!

• Jacquelyn Clark
      October 18, 2017 at 7:31 pm

bahaha oh man she has to be involved in EVERYTHING. It’s outrageous and hilarious. She’s sleeping on my feet as I type this #shadow

• Mom
    October 18, 2017 at 4:29 pm

It is so “homey” and welcoming!! Great job. Perfect entrance for children? a large family? xo

• Christine
    October 18, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Beautiful! I love how the black accents make it look so elegant. Love the wallpaper!

• Jacquelyn Clark
      October 22, 2017 at 10:50 pm

The wallpaper is my favourite. It makes me smile every time I come home

• Elaine Sarratt
    October 19, 2017 at 8:31 am

Gorgeous transformation! I love it! Since your mom just commented, may I add one tip that my mom, who has been gone since 2012, and taught me so much about entertaining, home decorating, style, etc., taught me? Always burn the tips of the wicks of your candles. Even better if you let them burn down enough so that a little bit of the top part of the wax starts to melt. Otherwise, absol7stunning!

• Jacquelyn Clark
      October 22, 2017 at 10:50 pm

YES! It’s funny because I have an aunt who has an insane number of candles and none of them have EVER been lit. It has always weirdly bothered me, haha. I am of the belief that nothing is for show – it should all be enjoyed – so YES!! I will definitely be burning those wicks <3

• Elaine Sarratt
    October 19, 2017 at 8:32 am

*absolutely

• Barbara
    October 20, 2017 at 9:55 am

Love this! My entry is so wide and huge, hard to decorate!

• Jacquelyn Clark
      October 22, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Yes that can be challenging, but it’s definitely doable using similar principals!

• Jackie
    October 22, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Looks absolutely incredible! Amazing job :)

• Rebecca Neustel
    October 22, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Such a pretty and classy space, and the tile is so stunning! I had to laugh wondering what was going through Sage’s head while you were going up and down the stairs. Some new game, probably. I’d love to see a close-up of the transom over your front door. It looks so pretty.

• Peg Allegretto
    October 26, 2017 at 9:12 am

This is just stunning!! Love everything you do!! xoxo

• Amie
    November 7, 2017 at 2:27 pm

It’s so gorgeous! I love how calm your house is when you walk in.

But I do have to ask, where do you keep your coats and shoes? Our front entrance is our only entry, and is also tiny, and I find it easily becomes overwhelmed with coats and shoes. We have a shoe cabinet that we use as a drop zone as well and storage for shoes and outdoor accessories. We also turned our wall beside the door into a coat hook wall with faux board and batten. But it always looks so cluttered! We try to keep the items pared down to two coats each for hubs, me and the two kids. And no more than 3 bags at the door.

Sign up to receive new posts & subscriber-only design advice straight to your inbox.