#ProjectLarkandLinen Interior Design Lifestyle Office & Shop Tours Personal Posts

Our Office Reveal!

before-after
SHOP THE POST:

I was talking to a girlfriend not long ago about how I was getting a little tired of feeling unsettled. Growing up with divorced parents, I spent the majority of my childhood as a mini nomad – travelling from home to home multiple times weekly. And while I wouldn’t change any of it for the world, it wasn’t until I moved in with Justin that I really began to feel at peace.

heidilaularkandlinenoffice007

Fast forward to last summer. Between house hunting, packing, moving, and renovating, I feel like I’ve once again been living amongst chaos of some variety for almost a year now. And while I hope this doesn’t come across as complaining – because I am not – not even for a second. I have to admit that it does take a bit of a toll. That being said, the madness that has been our lives the last year has made me feel more grateful than ever. And having a fully complete office has been the most incredible feeling in every sense of the word. It has quickly become my haven – a wonderful happy little place that I look forward to spending hours upon hours each day within. I’m thrilled to finally share every last detail and the results, photographed by my sweet (and crazy talented) friend Heidi Lau.

heidilaularkandlinenoffice136heidilaularkandlinenoffice119

Our home, an old Victorian from 1898, has incredible bones. But what it boasts in character, it lacks (big time) in storage space. The master bedroom, for example, didn’t even have a closet when we began. So when we first moved in, we got to work knocking down the wall between the master and the office, and pushing it further into the office. This small change resulted in a master large enough to build a closet, without eating into the existing footprint. It made the office small by comparison, but I’ve never been one to shy away from a tiny space. And while it may not be the biggest room in the world, the final results are mighty – if I do say so myself.
heidilaularkandlinenoffice047

While Justin and his dad handled the wall demo and rebuild portion of the whole ordeal, we worked with True Contractors (one of my favourite construction companies in the GTA) when it came to finishing details. They installed some beautiful wainscotting, and 6″ crown moulding, all from Metrie. It was only about two days worth of work, and the finishing details absolutely, hands down, no question, made the space what it is. The wainscotting is installed 3′ up the wall, and the rest is finished with a bold black, white, and grey wallpaper from Anthropologie. We installed sleek, soft tap, dimmable light switches (which I LOVE). A custom roman shade from Tonic Living, in Tuscany Linen – Prism, topped it all off, and with that we were off to the races.

heidilaularkandlinenoffice085 heidilaularkandlinenoffice100heidilaularkandlinenoffice148 heidilaularkandlinenoffice102

While I conduct the majority of my work like a grown up at my desk, I adore the cozy corner that I’ve carved out for myself. I picked up the most gloriously comfortable oversized lounge chair, in a timeless silhouette, from Plaidfox that just barely fit up our stairs*. We repurposed an old floor lamp that we found in our creepy attic. And we topped it all off with the most beautiful poof, handmade by artisan women in Beirut, from Métis.

heidilaularkandlinenoffice020 heidilaularkandlinenoffice032 heidilaularkandlinenoffice144 heidilaularkandlinenoffice040 heidilaularkandlinenoffice043

When I’m not snuggled up my cozy little office corner, you can typically find me right here, at this very desk. You may remember in our old home tour (here) that I used to work from a desk that my mother had purchased for me when I went to kindergarten. And while I absolutely adore that piece – both aesthetically and emotionally – it was just too small for my current needs. I knew that if I was going to convince myself to make the change, it was going to have to be something truly outstanding. Which is where my current desk situation comes into play. This beauty, which was gifted to me by Ave Home, is the most glorious piece I own. Truly. The raw wood adds a ton of warmth to an otherwise crisp and cool palette. And the carved details and turned legs add the most glorious details. I have to admit, it definitely made the emotional switch out significantly easier.

heidilaularkandlinenoffice004 heidilaularkandlinenoffice013 heidilaularkandlinenoffice134

Though I’ve been in the interior design business for over ten years now, it never fails to amaze me how complete a room feels the minute we do two things: install the drapery. And roll out the area rugs. They’re the very best way to not only anchor a space, but also add those layers of warmth and coziness that transform a house into a home.

Every. Single. Time. I do an Instagram story I get asked about my office area rug. It’s a woven wool beauty that I got from Armadillo & Co. It’s the prettiest greige hue, the perfect amount of plushness, and I would happily recommend it to anyone looking for something soft underfoot.

heidilaularkandlinenoffice062 heidilaularkandlinenoffice143 heidilaularkandlinenoffice067 heidilaularkandlinenoffice071 heidilaularkandlinenoffice070

And last, but certainly not least, we have my design library. This bad boy is the workhorse of the whole ordeal. Not only does it house all of my design books, but also all of my tile, wood, and fabric samples. Plus, it looks damn good while doing so, if I do say so myself.

heidilaularkandlinenoffice139 heidilaularkandlinenoffice052

There you have it. My happy place, all rolled into one post. If you’d like to see the before space, live, check out this video tour I posted of our home just after we got the keys.

*true story: Justin actually dismantled our entire stair banister to fit this baby up. It was worth every painstaking moment, as far as I’m concerned.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: OUR BATHROOM REVEAL

[break]Photography: Heidi Lau | Interior Design: Yours Truly (Lark & Linen

Construction:

Construction: True Contractors | Chair Rail: c/o Metrie | Cove: Metrie | Crown Moulding: Metrie

Furniture & Fixtures:

Wallpaper: c/o Anthropologie | Desk: c/o Ave Home | Side Chair: c/o Plaidfox | Area Rug: c/o Armadillo & Co | Custom Roman Shade: c/o Tonic Living | Filing Cabinet: Wayfair | Bookshelf: Ikea | Desk Lamp: Serena & Lily | Pendant: Joss & Main | Floor Lamp: Vintage | Floor Poof: c/o Métis  | Light Switches: c/o Legrand | Desk Chair: Wayfair

Art & Accessories:

Books: c/o The Eccentrics, Room with a View, Christian Dior, Farfetch, Michele Bonan | Graphic Pillow: c/o Susan Connor New York | Floral Pillow: Arianna Belle | Abstract Art: c/o  Minted | Sassy Lady Art: Minted | Feather Art: Minted | Line Drawing: My own | Wild Radish Drawing: Minted | Abstract Piece: Minted | Watercolour Piece: Minted | Diffuser: c/o Saje | Pen Holder: Anthropologie | Letter Organizer: Urban Outfitters | Candle: c/o Assouline | Mouse Pad: Etsy

Wearing:

Jeans: TopShop | Sweater: H&M | Lipstick: Mac – Sweetie

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

35 Comments

Taste of France
    March 29, 2017 at 5:00 am

This is an amazing before/after. I can’t get over the paneling. It totally makes the room. And while I really like your wallpaper, it would be just too much floor-to-ceiling. That band of white around the bottom of the room calms it down. And it’s so classy.
    I also love the way you left the shelves backless so the wallpaper shows behind them.
    And so many other details.

Flora
    March 29, 2017 at 7:33 am

My goodness, it’s gorgeous! What a beautiful space you’ve made for yourself (which couldn’t be more important when it’s somewhere you’re working all day, right?). I love the wallpaper, and the fact you have a comfy armchair to sit on if you can do work-tasks that don’t require being upright at your desk to be productive. :)

Flora

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I can’t tell you how often I curl up in that chair. It’s so nice to have a cozy little spot when I don’t feel like sitting like an adult at my real desk :)

Kelly Lynn Armstrong
    March 29, 2017 at 9:50 am

SO SO pretty, as always! I love your chair in there and it may be the type of chair I’m looking for for my living room. Enjoy the new space!! xx

Mom
    March 29, 2017 at 10:20 am

A lovely space. Perfect for my talented daughter. I am jealous!!! But in a wonderful way:)

Tina
    March 29, 2017 at 10:35 am

Jacquelyn, It is lovely! I especially love the wallpaper and desk! I may now be using your office as design inspiration for our office/dining room as it is so chic and timeless! Thanks so much! ~Tina

Ashley Uhl Interiors
    March 29, 2017 at 11:23 am

Absolutely beautiful! I agree that the wainscoting and the desk are some of the best pieces in the entire room. A job very very well done!! I wish my home office looked that beautiful!

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Truly, when they were both complete I had a “YASSSS” moment. It was glorious.

Debbie
    March 29, 2017 at 12:44 pm

What a beautiful space! Every detail is perfection. Congratulations and many, many happy hours, days and years in your lovely space.

Susan
    March 29, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Jacquelyn, as you always do, you’ve knocked this space out of the park. It’s beautiful, and perfect for you! Like the other commenters, I can’t believe it’s the same space. You have absolutely transformed it. I hope you’ll love working in your new space, and I hope you’ll love your Patra pillow, and I feel very honored to see one of my pillow designs in your very own office. It’s the best compliment there is for a textile designer! xx S

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:02 pm

It is my absolute pleasure to include one of your beautiful works of art into my office. You are so dang talented my friend!

Cecile
    March 29, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Exactly or even better than what I would imagine your office space to be. I love it and it totally yells Jacquelyn and calm and pretty to me!!

Faten Baassiri
    March 30, 2017 at 9:41 am

Beautiful space! The wall panelling and wallpaper combo is very pretty. Thank you so so much for including the floor pouf in your design, i love how it looks and fits perfectly! I showed the pictures to the women artisans in Beirut who handmade it, especially Rania who cross-stitched the top, and they were extremely happy to see their work in someone’s home. Enjoy it!

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:04 pm

That is amazing! Thank you so much Faten. And please give a big ol hug to Rania when/if you see her. She is incredibly talented – I adore my pouf

Brooke
    March 30, 2017 at 5:59 pm

What a beautiful office! I really love the warmth how the warmth of the desk and baskets balance the cool tones in the blacks, whites, and grays. Hope you enjoy many hours of creativity in your new space.

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:04 pm

100%! I always try to incorporate at least some wood for that very reason. Texture and warmth is king!

Jordana @WhiteCabana
    March 30, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Oh my goodness! This is just so beautiful, Jacquelyn! I’m sure you’re spending many happy hours in this space. How nice it is to be surrounded by lovely!

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I am sitting in that very chair responding to all of these lovely comments and I am so happy I could explode!

Anne
    March 31, 2017 at 5:04 am

Absolutely beautiful. May I also suggest a rug underneath your office chair to protect the wonderful flooring.

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:06 pm

We actually have soft casters for that reason :) I’ve been using them for about 5 years now with zero scratches on any hardwood!

Anna
    March 31, 2017 at 5:43 am

Nice design

Friday Favorites vol. 7 – Planthouse Wellness
    March 31, 2017 at 1:59 pm

[…] Dreams :: Wallpaper is having a total moment, and this office reveal was almost too much for me to handle. Everything about Lark & Linen’s work is […]

Take Note: Links and Reads | The Blondielocks | Life + Style
    March 31, 2017 at 3:04 pm

[…] Wellness (Jenna Kutcher) 8. DIY Easter Bunny Napkins (Martha Stewart) 9. A seriously impressive office reveal (Lark & Linen) 10. Swooning over this striped, one-shoulder maxi dress (Banana Republic) 11. I […]

Simona
    April 1, 2017 at 10:58 am

So elegant, every single detail is perfect, and I am such a sucker for beautiful wallpaper. I can understand the feeling of wanting to feel more settled down, anchored. Good job on doing that!

Jacquelyn Clark
      April 11, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I am clearly a wallpaper advocate fan these days. I love the way it transforms a space

Home Office Ideas – Thembekita & Words
    April 14, 2017 at 3:53 pm

[…] Photo One / Photo Two / Photo Three […]

S
    April 17, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Your office is so perfect! I love it. It’s so bright and cherry and I love the wallpaper. Eyeing that pencil cup and OMG the little feet on it are so cute!!
    xo
    Safinaaz
    Grey Canvas

Madeline
    April 20, 2017 at 12:38 am

What a gorgeous space! It’s absolutely perfect! Where are the baskets from?