12 Tips Interior Design Tips & Tricks

My Go-To Gray Paint Colours

WEB-JollyAbode-Annawithlove-88
I recently started a shared “gray” inspired Pinterest board with the Domino team (which you can follow here, if interested), which got me thinking about my affinity for this shade throughout the course of my career. I mean, it goes without saying that my taste naturally ebbs and flows as the hours tick by (#designerproblems). Some days I’m all about a rich navy hue, while others I find myself craving emerald. And, if you can even believe it, I once even gravitated towards a hint of red (I KNOW!) That being said, one thing that has remained consistent throughout my ten plus years in the interior design field is my love for all things grey.

I’m a big proponent of neutral walls, allowing them to act as a blank canvas for the rest of your space. With that in mind, it’s a shade that can be finicky, if not approached with a cautious hand, often skewing yellow, or way too blue, once applied to the walls. I’ve tested out many variations over the years, but decided that it may be helpful to round up a few of very favourites. The tried, tested, and true beauties that I find my way back to again and again. Here are the best gray paint colours, as far as I’m concerned.

Best Paint ColoursBenjamin Moore, Cement Gray

A warm gray, with hints of lavender. Amazing for cabinets and millwork

Farrow & Ball, Cornforth White

A cool, crisp, gray with unexpected depth

Behr, Dolphin Fin

A cool gray with strong blue undertones

Benjamin Moore, Chelsea Gray

A rich, deep, gray that acts as a classic designer favourite for a reason

Para Paint, Nightcap

A soft, fresh, gray with crisp blue undertones

Benjamin Moore, Shoreline

A timeless, classic, gray that acts as a wonderful neutral. It works well with virtually everything

Benjamin Moore, Classic Gray

Just a whisper of gray. A true neutral

Benjamin Moore, Stonington Gray

A clean, cool, gray with some fabulous depth

Benjamin Moore, American White

A clean gray with soft purple undertones

[break]Shelfie Image, Above: Shot by AnnawithLove – you see the full home tour that I helped design for Stephanie Sterjovski here

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

My Go-To Gray Paint Colours | Bloggsom
    January 25, 2017 at 4:12 am

[…] post My Go-To Gray Paint Colours appeared first on lark & […]

Taste of France
    January 25, 2017 at 5:16 am

So pretty! I am learning to love gray since we were assigned a pale gray (night cap?) by the historic preservation authorities. It didn’t play nicely with the ecru I had in mind, but now that we’ve gone gray, I really like the result. It especially cools down the dark wood of the antiques.

Amie Melnychuk
    January 25, 2017 at 9:21 am

We used Dolphin fin as our hallway colour on both floors of our house, and love it!

We are currently looking for a very light grey to use in our living room, and the American White is a contender.

Carolyn
    January 25, 2017 at 10:50 am

I have used Sherwin Williams “Agreeable Grey” several times paired with “Pussywillow” for contrast. I really like their paints as I find they go on sale quite often in the Toronto area (30-40% off) making them quite reasonable (great quality too). I like BM paint also–just find it expensive. Sometimes Home Depot will put a rebate on the Behr line.

Lisa
    January 26, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Love Cornforth White. My entire house is painted in F+B colours. They are timeless. One of my guest rooms is painted in that colour and I have had so many compliments on it. And seriously considering Shoreline for my ensuite reno. I was out shopping for bathroom tiles all day, came home and started checking out paint colours and then just decided to catch up on your blog and, voila, you are discussing grey paint colours. Serendipity…

Tina
    February 1, 2017 at 3:41 pm

We just finished building a house and I chose Classic Gray for all of the walls. I LOVE it! Great post-thanks for including your opinion on how the colors read! Very helpful!

Jacquelyn Clark
      February 3, 2017 at 10:23 am

Isn’t it beautiful? We just did our bedroom in the Cornforth White and it just reminded me why I love it so much too!