We recently posted this recipe for tequila chicken with tomato-corn relish on Style Me Pretty Living and it has been on my mind, more or less, ever since. Not only is it incredibly flavourful, it’s basically foolproof and sure to impress even the pickiest of dinner guests. We’ve now made it a handful of times in the last month and I’m thinking it’s here to stay. Paired with mexican rice and an ice cold fresh lime margarita and I do believe we’ve got ourselves our very own party. Enjoy!
all images original to lark & linen
Grab all of the recipes after the jump!
Tequila Chicken & Tomato-Corn Relish
recipe adapted from Style Me Pretty Living
1/4 cup tequila
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbs Dijon mustard
salt & pepper (make sure to add enough salt, usually around 1-2 tsp)
4 medium sized chicken breasts, bonless, skinless
1 cup corn (2-3 ears)
1 cup cherry tomato, quartered
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons butter
salt / pepper
FOR THE CHICKEN:
1. Combine all ingredients in bowl.
2. Reserve half of the marinade in a separate bowl.
3. Place the chicken breasts in marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Grill for 5 minutes on each side until chicken is cooked through.
5. While the chicken is grilling, boil the remaining marinade until reduced by half.
FOR THE RELISH:
1. Heat skillet to high and melt butter.
2. Place corn in skillet and let it cook for 5 minutes (try not to touch it!)
3. Stir and let cook another 2 minutes.
4. Place tomatoes in your bowl. Add hot corn. Top with olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
1. Start with the chicken in a single layer.
2. Top with reduced sauce.
3. Layer on the corn & tomato relish, then top with cilantro.
recipe adapted from Food.com
12 oz. tomatoes, very ripe and cored
1 medium white onion
3 medium jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed, minced
2 cups long grain white rice
1/3 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Puree tomatos and onion in food processor until smooth.
3. Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes.Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water. (Note: do not skip this step! It ensures your rice does not stick)
4. Heat oil in an oven-safe caserole dish with a tight fitting lid over low-medium heat for 2 minutes. Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle it’s ready.
5. Add rice and fry stirring until slightly translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
6. Add garlic and 2 minced jalapenos and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 1/2 minutes.
7. Stir in broth, 2 cups of pureed mixture (discard remaining), tomato paste, and salt. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
8. Cover with lid and transfer to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes.
9. Stir well after 15 minutes.
10. Add cilantro, remaining jalapeno to taste, and pass lime wedges separately.
Fresh Lime Margarita
recipe adapted from Epicurious
1 1/2 cups gold tequila
3/4 cup Triple Sec
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
4 tbsp. sugar
8 cups crushed ice
2 tbsp. kosher salt
6 lime wedges
1. Mix salt and 2 tbsp. sugar.
2. Run lime wedge along rim of 6 glasses.
3. Dip the wet rim into the salt & sugar mixture.
4. Combine tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and 2 tablespoons sugar in large pitcher; stir to dissolve sugar.
5. Add crushed ice.
6. Pour margarita into glasses & garnish with lime wedges.