tasty treats: sea salt & honey butter popcorn

Just after moving in to my first place, my hand-me down microwave bit the dust. Being wary of using it to begin with, I wasn’t all that sad to see it go as I realized that most things could be heated up just as quickly in my toaster oven, and I no longer needed to worry about any crazy box manipulating the molecules in my food. (Admittedly, I have no idea how microwaves actually work, but the idea of being able to cook something in under two minutes hurts my brain parts. But I digress.) The one and only thing I missed once my microwave was gingerly placed in the back-alley dumpster was my ability to make popcorn in a flash. I grew up in a household where you either made it in an old-fashioned popcorn machine, or you plunked the bagged stuff in the microwave and waited impatiently for two and a half minutes.

It was only recently (like, really, really recently) that I discovered that you could, in fact, make popcorn with none other than a few tablespoons of hot oil, and a pot with a lid. In the same amount of time no less! Mind. Blown. Since then, popcorn has been made en-mass and I’ve been playing around with different flavour combinations. This one in particular is by far my favourite and I dare you not to devour the entire bowl all by your lonesome (do it, I won’t judge).

ps. it pairs perfectly with a really cheesy movie

Spread the word!Pin on Pinterest71Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on TumblrShare on Reddit0
CATEGORIES | Recipes, Tasty Treats
27 Responses to “tasty treats: sea salt & honey butter popcorn”
  1. julia says:

I love popcorn! It’s been a while I didn’t eat some… And I love your bowl with litle turquoise flowers and a little orange layer… Very nice.

2. tinajo says:

I love popcorn too – and it sure looks pretty on these pics! :-)

3. Ella says:

I am OBSESSED with popcorn at the moment. As in, the last time I ate it was about 20mins ago. Also had the mind blowing experience of cooktop popcorn a couple of months ago. It made heaps so I did one plain salted, one with harissa paste for spice & one with maple syrup.

4. Haute says:

Toaster Oven’s are my life too!! I can’t live withoutone because everything tastes better with it!

Now, to the popcorn…totally awesome. How did I not know of this trick? I’m definitely going to have to try it (I love the mix of sweet and salty, btw) and will most likely eat the whole bowl while watching a chick flick. :)

5. wow, i don’t have a microwave either and i love popcorn…i am going to HAVE to try this!! xx

6. lilwhitewhale says:

I just discovered making popcorn on the stove too, and haven’t been back to the microwave stuff since! This sounds like a delicious flavor combo!

7. Honey butter and salt? Incredible. This should be sold in cinemas and everywhere else, what a truly inspired idea!

8. Stacey says:

So do you put the butter/honey in the pan whilst popping the corn or do you make a drizzle to put over it? If it’s the first I’ve always wondered if it will work!! xx

9. davidifc says:

Good call JC! I always make popcorn this way, even plain it’s way tastier. My two faves are making it with clarified butter and a little bit of masala (curry powder – mix a pinch or two of the powder with the oil as it heats up before adding the popcorn), or condensed milk & salt (sounds sick I know. It’s good.)

10. Oh this looks delicious! I love a salty and sweet combo.

11. lexniko says:

Popcorn is my JAM! I am 100p making this over the weekend…my personal favourite is here…they make adorable gifts as well!

alex | http://www.imalittle.com | @lexniko

12. Shoko says:

Sounds amazing! Bookmarked.

13. Yum! I have been dying to try this recipe since seeing it on Melissa’s site! Now you have just confirmed that it’s a must make. :) Gorgeous pictures!

14. this is the best way to have popcorn!
    love the sweet and salty mix
    x kat

15. I absolutely ADORE kettle popped popcorn, I’m so glad you’ve discovered it :) And what a lovely combination of flavours …. hope you enjoyed your cheesy movie too!

16. [...] like my discovery with popcorn and bread, I’ve recently discovered that you don’t require a specific machine (I’m [...]