scenes from my weekend {halifax edition}.

views from the plane | beautiful Halifax | Justin & I
fresh smoked salmon | a family friend’s backyard | olive oil tasting shop

When we found out that my brothers basketball team had made it to the National Championships this past weekend, we quickly packed our bags and headed to Halifax to support them from the stands. Although they made a valiant effort (and I’m so proud of my little brother who won player of the game!) they didn’t make it past the first round. Fortunately, this resulted in ample time to explore the city at will. Indulging in fresh seafood of all kinds was definitely the highlight of the trip. And what Nova Scotia lacks in cute shops and coffee spots it makes up for in surprisingly good pubs, and kindness unlike I’ve ever seen*. All in all it was a wonderful weekend, and it’s amazing what a little getaway with the family can do for one’s soul.

*From strangers on the street who’d call a friend if they couldn’t help with directions, to traffic that would completely stop should you stand on the sidewalk and even contemplate j-walking, I was blown away by people’s friendliness. The security guards at the airport were not only smiling, but laughing and making jokes (although I’ve been told Torontonians are surprisingly friendly, this is unheard of). I can confirm that what they say about the Maritimes is 100% true and it’s possible I’ve been hauled up in big city life for a little too long.

Share This:Pinterest0Facebook0Twitter0tumblrReddit0
CATEGORIES | life, scenes from my weekend
23 Responses to “scenes from my weekend {halifax edition}.”
  1. Charlotte says:

You always have the loveliest weekends :) I really look forward to these posts on Mondays x

2. Anna @ IHOD says:

Looks like such a lovely escape! So beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing with us:)
    x, Anna

3. Looks wonderful and congrats to your brothers. You have the most beautiful blog… I have shared the fact that I am enjoying it with my readers today. Hopefully they will enjoy it, too!

4. You and all your vacations!! Take me in your bag next time, will you!! :)

Your trip looks so lovely!! Such beautiful scenery!!

5. tinajo says:

Looks amazing, wish I´d been there too! :-)

6. Alexa says:

Yay that’s great for your little brother!!! xo

7. Jordana says:

Looks like you had a lovely sunny visit! Weekend getaways are so fun, aren’t they?
    Jordana

8. Love Nova Scotia. So true what you say about traffic stopping if you stand on a sidewalk… They do that all accross the Maritimes! Lovely people :)

Seriously, the nicest
      I couldn’t believe it! Half the time I wasn’t actually planning on crossing, but felt like I should just because people were stopping for me

9. Stacey says:

That sounds like the loveliest place to visit – I think I may just add that on to my list :)

It’s stunning! I’ve been twice in the winter and once in the summer (when I was 10) and I would definitely recommend going in the summer. There’s much more to do :)

10. Mommy says:

Lovely blog and even lovelier spending the weekend with my favorite people..my daughter and her boyfriend, and James…love the picture of the feet.

11. Nikki says:

I live in Hali and there’s cute shops, just kinda hidden. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay.

I actually found a few that were great. One in particular is called Biscuit and it was really great! You’ll have to give me some insider tips for my next trip

12. Kelly says:

Lighthouses and rain boots? I’m sold!

13. [...] and the mix of design styles in this house designed by Josephine Interior Design. I also loved her Scenes from my Weekend: Halifax Edition post – being from the east coast, it’s nice to hear when others appreciate the friendly [...]