Dessert Recipes Tasty Treats To Snack On

Homemade Granola Bars

I don’t know about you, but by 3:00 most days I’m in need of a bit of a pick-me-up (and if I’m being honest, it’s usually in the form of a sugary treat). As hard as I try to avoid it, I often find myself reaching for a cookie or, recently, a mug of hot chocolate. Deciding that I need to make some positive changes in my life (beginning with my health), I begun researching healthy recipes I could make en-masse that would satisfy my mid-afternoon cravings. Last weekend, I made homemade granola bars and they have quickly become my go-to snack. The combination of salty and sweet satisfies my cravings, while the nuts and seeds keep me full until dinner, without leaving any lingering guilt. The only problem now is forcing myself to wait until 3:00 to enjoy this delicious little snack. (see below for the recipe!)

What you’ll need:
::1 c. peanut butter
::1/2 c. coconut oil
::2/3 c. honey
::2 c. combination pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, coconut flakes (or whatever you see fit)
::2 c. oats
::a handful of good quality chocolate chips

What you’ll do:
::melt peanut butter, coconut oil and honey in a saucepan over medium heat
::once melted, remove from heat and add the nuts, seeds, coconut flakes and oats and stir well
::press mixture into a 2″ deep pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top
::refrigerate for 2 hours
::cut into bars and enjoy!

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

September 22, 2011 at 9:16 am

Yum! I love granola bars, and controlling the ingredients sounds ideal. I can’t wait to try these. xo

September 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

Yes! I was sold on the idea of no additional items you cannot even pronounce.

September 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

mmmm homemade granola bars sounds awesome. i love granola bars. making some healthy homemade ones has never even occurred to me. will be printing this. thanks for sharing!

tobe | because it's awesome
    September 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

soooo sharing this with the hubs! or maybe i’ll surprise him with a batch? i want one right now! :)

September 22, 2011 at 10:42 am

Oh wow, these look really delicious. Great photography too. I really should try making my own granola bars – I don’t really like too many of the shop bought ones, they’re not particularly tasty or interesting.

September 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

Thanks love! I agree – I’ve yet to find one that is really delicious (unless it’s loaded with chocolate chips and marshmallows haha)

September 22, 2011 at 10:50 am

I always need an afternoon snack too- I’ll have to give this recipe a try!

Britt @ My. Daily. Randomness.
    September 22, 2011 at 11:09 am

I love making my own granola (and granola bars), that way I can control what goes in them… No nasty fillers or strange flavours like store-bought ones. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

victoria | vmac+cheese
    September 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

These look delicious! And you really could customize them however you wanted. If they’re available in your area (and you run out of yummy granola bars), one of my favorite snacks are Lara bars. They’re gluten free, no added sugar, no preservatives. Just fruit and nuts and sometimes things like coconut or coconut oil. Love ’em!

September 23, 2011 at 9:37 am

My best friend always raves about Lara bars! They’re Swedish right? (of course they are! – anything good comes from Sweden haha). I’ll have to try them

Victoria@Victory Paper
    September 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Ah I’m such a granola fiend! I pack one every day in my purse for those unexpected tinges of hunger. Mine are usually of the store bought variety though, I’ll hafta give this a go!

September 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’m with you on the 3 o’clock snack time! These look really good and surprisingly really easy to make, I just might give these a try once I’m off work! I want one right now!

Lara Matos
    September 23, 2011 at 10:08 am

Love the short list of ingredients on this recipe. A definite must try!

September 29, 2011 at 11:34 am

I had to tell you… I retweeted your recipe and a friend of mine made them for our book club last weekend. They were a HUGE hit! Thanks for the recipe, jacquelyn!

Daryl Markgraf
    October 10, 2011 at 5:18 am

This was novel. I wish I could read every post, but i have to go back to work now… But I’ll return.