condo life: art wall.

Remember this post of yore? After much contemplation (and some serious voting action from the likes of you – thanks guys!) Justin and I finally got our act together and filled up that sad, blank wall in our dining ‘room’ (I say room lightly as it’s more a dining corner – wahoo condo living!) Since finalizing our decision to go the direction of the art wall, we’ve been collecting items to frame. Seeing as we’re both on a tight budget, we knew that we had to be savvy with our selections. Luckily, I was able to dig through my files (both of the computer and of the old-sketchbooks-in-my-mother’s-basement variety) and found a bunch of personal art and photography that worked quite well together. Take a look below (and click on the image for a larger view) to see where our pieces surfaced from. I’m happy to say that thanks to the $1 printed card I purchased in India and my Coulson Macleod prize from a challenge I entered back in October (here), the wall was virtually free! Oh happy day! I’m so pleased with the results.

and if you’re looking to attempt an art wall of your own, here are a few of my tips:

::At least one element should remain consistent throughout to tie the pieces together as a whole unit. A few examples: use the same frames, stick to a similar colour scheme (all black and white images, all highly saturated images…), use pieces in the same medium (all photographs, all oil paintings…), or stick to a similar theme (landscapes, family photos…). While I believe that one element should be consistent, some of the most interesting art walls I’ve come across mix and match mediums, colours, and/or frames, so don’t be afraid to have a little fun with it.

::The most common mistake made is not hanging art at an appropriate height. The rule of thumb is that the centre of your cluster should be at eye level (ie 5′ off the ground). That isn’t to say that you can’t extend your art wall from floor to ceiling for the most wonderfully dramatic effect.

::Chose a spacing between your photos and keep it consistent. In our case we chose a 1″ gap between each frame.

::Get creative! Tack up an old strip of photos or frame a pretty peacock feather. There are endless possibilities.

::Asymmetry is beautiful, so long as balance is maintained. For example. If I had two or three light and bright pieces on one side, I would balance out the other side with a single heavy, perhaps dramatic piece on the other.

::And lastly, there are no real rules and like most things, to each their own; these are just guidelines that I find helpful when completing a cohesive scheme.

Spread the word!Pin on Pinterest2Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on TumblrShare on Reddit0
CATEGORIES | Art & Design, Life, Random
24 Responses to “condo life: art wall.”
  1. I love it! Has such great balance and visual interest.

2. Sarah says:

I love those chairs ;)) And I adore the wall. Nicely pure and asymetric.

3. Anna @ IHOD says:

What fantastic tips and points!
    Love the way these photo frames are set up….and the yellow:)

actually the frames are a raw birch wood – I noticed that they looked kind of yellow (probably just the lighting) and it’s sort of making me want to paint them as so! Something to think about for sure

4. Fabulous! Was well worth the wait. Love your style.

5. Coley says:

I love this!! gorgeous. And thank you for adding the great point that you have to have something cohesive to make a gallery wall look good. I have seen some major trainwrecks when nothing ties the photos/art together!

6. Anna says:

These look great. I love your arrangement with all the art so close together. And don’t paint them – I love the way they look yellow but would still have the natural timber grain! Although yellow would still look pretty cool.

thanks Anna!

I like the natural wood too. I’ll keep it for a while, but I definitely get bored quickly and like the thought of painting them when I need a refresh!

7. Monica says:

It looks amazing! :)

8. Great tips! I have a wall that could use some help – love what you did!

9. Ella says:

Good point on keeping a consistent theme. The whites look great together! The added personal touches of your own sketches and photos makes this collection of pics extra special.

I’ve had some prints sitting on my bedroom floor for weeks. Thanks for encouraging me to give my walls some loving!

By the way, I noticed that you have a vermiculite ceiling, just like my apartment. Nice to someone else working it too!

10. It looks amazing! Really love the way you decided to group the works together. It’s the perfect scale for the wall and dining table. (And of course, I love the chairs!)

11. Christine says:

This looks gorgeous! Such perfect balance. I actually thought they were painted yellow too – good to know they’d look awesome that way if you ever want to switch it up!

12. I love that you took some time to collect a mini collection that means something to you -much more special- and the grouping looks great!

P.S. those frames are raw birch? They definitely look yellow in the photograph and I was going to ask where you purchased them!

I stand corrected! I was under the impression they were raw birch, but I looked further into it. They’re from Ikea and apparently they’re fibreboard! They do not look or feel like fibreboard in person though.

13. Love the colour inspiration! My favourite picture is of the shoes! Thanks for popping by First House a little while ago, am off for a meander through your blog now :) Nicolex

14. lark+linen says:

[...] few of you recently emailed me asking what was written and hung up on our new art wall (this post here). It’s an exerpt from a novel called the Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. I have not [...]