Interior Design Lifestyle Personal Posts

condo life: art wall.

Remember this post of yore? After much contemplation (and some serious voting action from the likes of you – thanks guys!) Justin and I finally got our act together and filled up that sad, blank wall in our dining ‘room’ (I say room lightly as it’s more a dining corner – wahoo condo living!) Since finalizing our decision to go the direction of the art wall, we’ve been collecting items to frame. Seeing as we’re both on a tight budget, we knew that we had to be savvy with our selections. Luckily, I was able to dig through my files (both of the computer and of the old-sketchbooks-in-my-mother’s-basement variety) and found a bunch of personal art and photography that worked quite well together. Take a look below (and click on the image for a larger view) to see where our pieces surfaced from. I’m happy to say that thanks to the $1 printed card I purchased in India and my Coulson Macleod prize from a challenge I entered back in October (here), the wall was virtually free! Oh happy day! I’m so pleased with the results.

and if you’re looking to attempt an art wall of your own, here are a few of my tips:

::At least one element should remain consistent throughout to tie the pieces together as a whole unit. A few examples: use the same frames, stick to a similar colour scheme (all black and white images, all highly saturated images…), use pieces in the same medium (all photographs, all oil paintings…), or stick to a similar theme (landscapes, family photos…). While I believe that one element should be consistent, some of the most interesting art walls I’ve come across mix and match mediums, colours, and/or frames, so don’t be afraid to have a little fun with it.

::The most common mistake made is not hanging art at an appropriate height. The rule of thumb is that the centre of your cluster should be at eye level (ie 5′ off the ground). That isn’t to say that you can’t extend your art wall from floor to ceiling for the most wonderfully dramatic effect.

::Chose a spacing between your photos and keep it consistent. In our case we chose a 1″ gap between each frame.

::Get creative! Tack up an old strip of photos or frame a pretty peacock feather. There are endless possibilities.

::Asymmetry is beautiful, so long as balance is maintained. For example. If I had two or three light and bright pieces on one side, I would balance out the other side with a single heavy, perhaps dramatic piece on the other.

::And lastly, there are no real rules and like most things, to each their own; these are just guidelines that I find helpful when completing a cohesive scheme.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse
    July 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love it! Has such great balance and visual interest.

July 6, 2011 at 11:04 am

I love those chairs ;)) And I adore the wall. Nicely pure and asymetric.

Anna @ IHOD
    July 6, 2011 at 11:27 am

What fantastic tips and points!
    Love the way these photo frames are set up….and the yellow:)

July 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

actually the frames are a raw birch wood – I noticed that they looked kind of yellow (probably just the lighting) and it’s sort of making me want to paint them as so! Something to think about for sure

Coulson Macleod
    July 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Fabulous! Was well worth the wait. Love your style.

July 11, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thank you! Your art was my starting off point. I’m so happy with how it turned out

July 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I love this!! gorgeous. And thank you for adding the great point that you have to have something cohesive to make a gallery wall look good. I have seen some major trainwrecks when nothing ties the photos/art together!

July 6, 2011 at 7:17 pm

These look great. I love your arrangement with all the art so close together. And don’t paint them – I love the way they look yellow but would still have the natural timber grain! Although yellow would still look pretty cool.

July 6, 2011 at 10:44 pm

thanks Anna!

I like the natural wood too. I’ll keep it for a while, but I definitely get bored quickly and like the thought of painting them when I need a refresh!

July 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

It looks amazing! :)

Liz - So Much to Smile About
    July 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Great tips! I have a wall that could use some help – love what you did!

July 8, 2011 at 10:51 am

if you need any help I’d be happy to!

July 7, 2011 at 7:16 am

Good point on keeping a consistent theme. The whites look great together! The added personal touches of your own sketches and photos makes this collection of pics extra special.

I’ve had some prints sitting on my bedroom floor for weeks. Thanks for encouraging me to give my walls some loving!

By the way, I noticed that you have a vermiculite ceiling, just like my apartment. Nice to someone else working it too!

July 8, 2011 at 10:52 am

oh the damn ceiling. Drives me nuts!! I just try not to look up haha. If I owned the place it would be the first to go

Emma at The Marion House Book
    July 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm

It looks amazing! Really love the way you decided to group the works together. It’s the perfect scale for the wall and dining table. (And of course, I love the chairs!)

July 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

coming from you that’s a huge compliment! Thanks Emma!

July 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

This looks gorgeous! Such perfect balance. I actually thought they were painted yellow too – good to know they’d look awesome that way if you ever want to switch it up!

Dayna ~ Inspiration for Decor
    July 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I love that you took some time to collect a mini collection that means something to you -much more special- and the grouping looks great!

P.S. those frames are raw birch? They definitely look yellow in the photograph and I was going to ask where you purchased them!

July 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

I stand corrected! I was under the impression they were raw birch, but I looked further into it. They’re from Ikea and apparently they’re fibreboard! They do not look or feel like fibreboard in person though.

Nicole at First House on the Right
    July 10, 2011 at 12:10 am

Love the colour inspiration! My favourite picture is of the shoes! Thanks for popping by First House a little while ago, am off for a meander through your blog now :) Nicolex

July 12, 2011 at 11:29 am

[…] few of you recently emailed me asking what was written and hung up on our new art wall (this post here). It’s an exerpt from a novel called the Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. I have not […]